MagicBunny.co.uk

Forums | Top Hat | Top Hat 2
Guests | Interviews | Contact Us | Tarbell Course In Magic
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:31 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Parcel held in customs
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:33 pm 

have a parcel (book) being held in parcel force international hub awaiting customs, should i get charged for a book being delivered from the states, i thought that instructional material are exempt from a customs charge or am i wrong?

Post subject: Re: Parcel held in customs
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:59 pm 
Venerable Member

depends what was writen on the customers slip and the value I thought, but have to say never got hit by customers for anything other than pricey gimmicks.

The issue is if parcel goes missing the person sending the book can't claim unless they were honest on the customers slip.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:14 pm 
Venerable Member

dk_the_magician wrote:
depends what was writen on the customers slip and the value I thought, but have to say never got hit by customs for anything other than pricey gimmicks.

Ah yes... They should never of stuck a lable on the box saying " You won't believe what this guys just paid for this" when you bought that hold out . :lol:

You don't say much, but what you do say is worth listening to....

Greg Wilson about.................. Me.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:16 pm 
Venerable Member

daleshrimpton wrote:
dk_the_magician wrote:
depends what was writen on the customers slip and the value I thought, but have to say never got hit by customers for anything other than pricey gimmicks.

Ah yes... They should never of stuck a lable on the box saying " You won't believe what this guys just paid for this". :lol:

Which I then have to peel off as its not easy explaining to the missus why I've spent so much on a coin from some guy called Schoolcraft

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:08 am 

... can I ask did you receive a letter from a company telling you it will be released when you pay the fee!?

If so remind me the name of the company and I'll advise further.

There is a company charging a release fee but the reality is the object has been released (and not by this company) and their letter beats the parcel as it's in transit and letters aren't. This has happened to me and it is a con! I'm not saying this is the case because it may be legitimate.

What have you received?

Joel.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:52 am 

http://tariff.businesslink.gov.uk/tarif ... untryCode=

I used to arrange customs clearance for UK import goods.
Books and other printed material whether or not of a single page are Duty free - I think VAT free too. however your book although a parcel would probably have been customs cleared as part of a bulk clearance (several packages at once often a whole load from the US because it's cheaper to do 1 entry than lots of little ones as parcel force will be charged by customs per entry) In this instance your book may not have cleared if there is another part of the package held for some other reason (if package contains any animal products like wool, fur or skin or any fruit, veg or wood - all the previous can be detained by port health and it takes a little while to arrange to get the offending parcel separated from the rest to allow them to be removed from customs bond.
There could also have been illegal goods or explosive goods (fireworks, seatbelt pretensioners etc) or even ball bearings which can be held up because they come under the same customs commodity code as those used for making ammunition (shotgun shells)

There are a lot of reasons it could be delayed fromo the above or something as simple as customs wanting to check the paperwork first (some entries are selected for document checks at random) these are the most likely reasons for a customs delay if you are not expected to pay VAT / Duty. However you may be charged if Parcel force used a basic catch all commodity code which they have been known to do. Any questions on imports or Customs let me know as I work for an international logistics company at the moment.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:15 pm 
Director

When ever something is bought or shipped from the USA, I always ask that it gets marked as a 'gift'. Always turns up on my doorstep. If you purchase anything from L&L, they automatically mark it as educational material, so no problems there.

Best wishes
Gary Scott

"This trick so visual even a blind man could see it" - Mark Williams crediting Wayne Trice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:08 pm 
Venerable Member

IF the government go ahead with the planned vat implementation on everything, including printed materials, that little loop hole may very well end.

You don't say much, but what you do say is worth listening to....

Greg Wilson about.................. Me.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:13 pm 
Director

daleshrimpton wrote:
IF the government go ahead with the planned vat implementation on everything, including printed materials, that little loop hole may very well end.

Best buy everything now.... :lol: ;)

Best wishes
Gary Scott

"This trick so visual even a blind man could see it" - Mark Williams crediting Wayne Trice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:53 pm 
Venerable Member

Quote:
If you purchase anything from L&L, they automatically mark it as educational material, so no problems there.

If I order anything from L&L, I ask them to mark it as "Coffee Table Stabilization".

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:12 am 

Government won't change to VAT on everything. It would bring the economy to it's knees. It's not the payment at the tills that's the issue, companies would need to front all the additional money to customs to be returned once sold on. That kind of capital would result in businesses needing to lay off staff left right and centre or banks to start lending more against possible bad debts.

the average VAT outlay on a container is massive.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:50 pm 

I'm afraid "Bomb-making for dummies" will always attract the attention of customs.

I had a problem many years back with a couple of hundred capacitors I requested from a factory in USA as spare parts for a customer in Asia.
The paperwork described them as 'caps' and the US authorites intercepted the parcel. They were looking for illegal exports of baseball caps.
Had I labelled them as bomb-making components they might have gone through unchallenged.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:43 pm 

Caps are also the name of railway explosives. they are very large caps (like for cap guns) you strap to the rails 3 miles before an incident at 500 yard intervals so when the train runs over them they explode (Sounds unsafe but it isn't) the boom tells the driver to stop knowing there is an issue ahead.

mislabelling is an absolute nightmare in shipping, the far east often shorten names to fit them on the paperwork not realising the shortened word means something that will cause a problem.

We had Animal shaped wooden puzzles brought in and it was shortened to "animals" and a list of the types (Sheep, cows, horses) Customs went Bat crazy thinking a 40ft container contained live animals on a ship with no care for 4 weeks stored under deck. Port had to arrange an express discharge, box was put on stop and had to be opened and out-turned, it was a right old mess.