Guests | Interviews | Contact Us | Links
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:05 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: The Complete Invocation
PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2002 12:12 pm 

Name ; The Complete Invocation (book)
By; Various Contributors edited by Tony Raven/Tony Andruzzi
Published by; Richard Kaufman
Price; £125 - 150 (depending where you get it!)

The Complete invocation is simply my favourite book of all time. I am posting a review as it would seem no one has in the past. I'll keep it short and simple...

The book itself is a massive tomb ( 439 pages worth!) of Bizarre magic with a healthy mix of mental material thrown in to keep the creative juices flowing.

That said, be under no illusion that this is a book full of usable and brilliant effects. There are just that, useable and brilliant effects, but there is also an incredible amount of reputation or unpractical offerings. The time period in which the book, which is actually a collection of The Invocation Magazine which was edited by Tony Raven/Tony Andruzzi, was one in which Bizarre magick was a massively experimental genre. Within these pages are documented the best and the rest of this experimentation. You will within the pages of the book find many effect which shaped the very way Bizarre magick has been formed and performed for years to come.

You will find material form the likes of Max Maven, Eugene Burger, Tony Andruzzi, Bruce Bernstein, Charles Cameron, Tony “Doc” Shiels, David Ben, Leslie May and even Richard Kaufman!

The book is written in almost as a theatrical way as it is illustrated. Each effect is seamlessly introduced hazed in a story of some kind. The effects range from those involving playing cards, tarot card, feathers, candles right the way to ritualistic vanishes of people (for which three useable methods are detailed) and skulls.

My own personal pick of the material, is Max Maven effect Nucleus. A demonstration of PK power in which a spread pack of playing cards adhere to your palm, finally falling to the table leaving only the selected playing card still attached to your palm. Many versions of this have popped up in the years following it’s publication but to my mind none are as effective in their simplicity.

Another personal pick is Leslie Mays Witches Spell. The book contains many effects from Leslie May all of which I feel introduce an interesting or new idea in either the presentation or application of method in Bizarre magick.

The book also offers the wonderful Bruce Bernstein's one man seance in which the participants feel “spirit kisses” on their skin. As well as numerous other Bernstein offerings all of an amazing level of brilliance.

So in short a wonderfully entertaining book, that will encourage the creative side of you in ways you never would have imagined. Not for the faint of heart, but for those in embrace darker, heavier effects in their performance this is a must have.

Personally I use nothing from the book, but the book itself encouraged me to develop my own ideas and effects in a similar vein to the style displayed in the book. Many of my own effects within my current “darker” repertoire are thanks to The Compleat Invocation and the inspiration it has offered to me.

LJ.

:evil: